Machine Learning Workshop for Developers
August 12 - 14, 2019
Machine Learning is all the rage, but many developers have no idea what it is, what they can expect from it or how to start to get into this huge and rapidly-changing field. The ideas draw from the fields of Artificial Intelligence, Numerical Analysis, Statistics and more. These days, you'll generally have to be a CUDA-wielding Python developer to boot. This workshop will gently introduce you to the ideas and tools, show you several working examples and help you build a plan to for diving deeper into this exciting new field.
We will not assume a research background, excessive amounts of statistics knowledge, the ability to calculus your way out of a paper bag, or your being a card-carrying members of the Linear Algebra Fan Club.
Forward Leaning Software Engineer
- 3-Day Training Offering
- Continental breakfast, refreshment breaks and lunch
- Wireless Connectivity & Power
- Certificate of Completion
We will cover:
- The differences between data science, AI, machine learning, deep learning and deep reinforcement learning
- The Five Tribes of Machine Learning (as defined by Pedro Domingos)
- Walkthroughs of some of the main algorithms from a qualitative perspective
- Examples in Java, R and Python
- Tools such as Tensorflow and Keras
- Modern learning environments such as OpenGym and Ray
- The impact of GPUs on machine learning
- Stories about how companies are being successful with machine learning
- A discussion about the likely impacts of machine learning on the job market and society
- How and why machine learning can go wrong, reinforce biases and provide meaningless responses
- What your next steps might be depending on your background
You do not have to have a strong background in any of this. Python would be helpful, but all of the extensive hands-on exercises will have training wheels and solutions to help you out (while still being challenging, useful and fun).
I have trained nearly 2,000 people on machine learning around the world and some of them were less prepared than you, so come give it a shot.
About Brian Sletten
Brian Sletten is a liberal arts-educated software engineer with a focus on forward-leaning technologies. His experience has spanned many industries including retail, banking, online games, defense, finance, hospitality and health care. He has a B.S. in Computer Science from the College of William and Mary and lives in Auburn, CA. He focuses on web architecture, resource-oriented computing, social networking, the Semantic Web, data science, 3D graphics, visualization, scalable systems, security consulting and other technologies of the late 20th and early 21st Centuries. He is also a rabid reader, devoted foodie and has excellent taste in music. If pressed, he might tell you about his International Pop Recording career.
11810 Sunrise Valley Drive
Reston, VA 20191
View Map »